Using the right primer will increase the quality and durability of your paint job.Your house paint can last 10 years or longer with the right choice and use of a top quality primer.
Paint primers exist in many forms and serve a variety of functions.
There uses around your home are limited only by the surfaces that you want to paint.There are 3 basic types of primer choose from.
- Alkyd - Oil base
- Acrylic - Latex
- Tinted Shellac
A good definition of primer is that it forms the foundation of the entire paint job.
- By having the ability to adhere to the intended substrate.
- Produce a uniform surface.
- Seal pours, allowing an even sheen and appearance of the finish coat.
- Enhance the hiding ability of the finish coat. Especially important with dark or vibrant colors. With these “designer colors” a tinted primer is necessary to achieve their true beauty.
- Neutralizes a substrates PH, as with unpainted plaster, drywall and masonry. These surfaces can have a PH of 12 or more. A high PH can adversely affect the adhesion and longevity of many types of house paints.
With all that a quality primer can do, it is easy to understand the importance of choosing the right product for your painting needs.
Like it? Share it with others!
Or Place a link to this page using the following HTML code: