If your house or any part of your property experiences foundation failure, it is not a job you want to correct yourself. In order to do this properly you would have to be extensively trained and have a fast knowledge on the subject. This is not your everyday fixer upper project. Chances are to get the job done right; you are going to need to hire a professional.
If you are like some people, this might make you a little uneasy. After all, how many times have you heard about contractors taking advantage of their customers? Some not so ethical contractors will charge you more than the job is worth. If you are a little uneasy calling in a professional, here are some basic guidelines for what to expect from a good foundation repair contractor.
The first thing any foundation repair contractor should do is an initial investigation and then a foundation failure report to some extent. Report will explain how severe the problem is and list the proposed repairs needed. If they are going to have to pier, they much included pier spacing and foundation lines in the reports. This takes some time. It might not be a one visit evaluation.
A foundation repair contractor may have to come out, do an investigation and then present you with a formal report at a later time that will detail all the work. If you find a contractor who quotes you a price right then and there, chances are they are not a good one. Also do not be surprised if you are charged a fee for the inspection and the report. Most fees range from a few hundred to almost $1000 dollars. Make sure you ask if that fee will be deducted from the final price of the job once ordered. A qualified and ethical contractor will tell you yes. If they say no…stay away from them.
Once the investigation is done and a report is ready, a reliable foundation repair contractor will go through it with you and give you the quoted price. They will also explain that quote and answer any questions you may have. If you are getting quotes by a few foundation repair contractors, bear in mind that the prices should not vary much if they are all doing the same work. This is because the materials should pretty much be the same price for all foundation repairmen.
One of the possible reasons for the difference of prices between contractors is the amount of experience they have. A knowledgeable, skillful and experienced contractor might cost a little more money than one who has less experience. Keep this in mind when considering the cheapest contractor. Ask questions about their experience to help ensure you are making the best decision for you, your house and your budget.
Once all the work has been done, you should be given a report that contains all the hydraulic measurements and depths regarding the piers. This report should be saved as it will come in handy if you ever decided to sell you house.
Having foundation failure fixed is a costly project, but by following these guidelines, you will be able to find a foundation repair contractor that you are confident with. Make sure they are one who take pride in their work and are not looking for the quick buck.
For the best network of Foundation Repair Specialists check out http://www.Foundation-Repair.us
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Hal_Lewis
Who are we?
- Full construction company, A-Z services
- Residential and commercial contractor
- Top rated builder, remodeler and handyman services
Put your mind at ease
- A licensed General contractor (#870657)
- Fully insured and bonded
- Member of the BBB (A+ Rating)
- Angie's List A Rating
- Member of NARI
- EPA Lead-Free certified firm
- Best of HOUZZ 2014 Award
What makes us the best
- Professional crews and supervision
- Creative design
- Really caring about our customers
- On time, On Budget
- Using top quality materials and labor
- Featured on KNBC's Open House TV show
- Chosen as a judge contractor on HGTV
- Selected and performed multiple big-shot commercial projects
- Worked discretely with some of Hollywood's finest
- Selected to appear on Style TV's Clean House
Pro Handyman Services
- Done right the first time! Let us tackle your to-do list
- No job is too small or too big for us
- Repairs done on time and on budget
- Doing it right the first time
- Learn more about our Handyman Services
- Keeping our integrity on each and every project
- Building trust and a genuine relationship with our customers
- Creative planning and tight project supervision
- Turning a house into YOUR home