From "Shower Space Size" To "Safety Requirements"
- The bathroom entrance door swings so that it does not interfere with people in front of fixtures.
- Fixtures located so that more than two people can use the space comfortably.
- Water closet and bidet in separate compartments or shielded from entrance view.
- 15" (38 cm) or more of clearance space from the centerline of lavatory bowl to a wall or similar obstruction.
- 30" (76 cm) or more of clearance space between the centerlines of double-bowl lavatories.
- At least 30" x 48" (76 cm x 122 cm) of clear floor space in front of the lavatory.
- 16" (41 cm) from the centerline of a water closet or bidet to a wall or similar obstruction, or fixture adjacent to it.
- At least 48" x 48" (122 cm x 122 cm) of clear floor space in front of the water closet or bidet.
- Shower space size large enough to comfortably use, at least 34" x 34" (86.36 cm x 86.36 cm). Bigger = Better
- Tub size large enough to comfortably use (at least 5').
- At least 60" x 30" (152 cm x 76 cm) of clear floor space in front of shower/tub.
- Non-slip flooring used throughout the space.
- Ground-fault circuit interrupter electrical recepticals used.
- Electrical switches placed away from tub or shower.
- Grab-bars at shower/tub entrance and inside enclosure.
- Tub and/or shower easy to enter and exit.
- No steps at the tub or shower.
- Safety glazing on glass used for shower doors.
- Shower door swings into bathroom, not into shower enclosure.
- Bench/seat included in shower enclosure.
- Pressure balanced water control valves used in shower.
- Temperature regulating water control valves used in shower.
Storage System Requirements:
- Adequate counter or shelf space around lavatory.
- Adequate storage for grooming equipment, toiletries, linens, etc., 15" - 48" (38 cm - 122 cm) above the floor.
- Towel bars /rings located within reach of fixtures.
- Bathroom linen and paper product storage space provided.
- Storage space for shampoo and such in the shower/tub area, between 15" to 48" (38 cm - 122 cm) above the floor.
Mechanical System Requirements:
- An efficient ventilation system is part of the plan.
- Bathroom heating system will keep the space comfortably warm.
- Task lighting provided at every functional area.
- General lighting provided throughout the bathroom.
Like it? Share it with others!
Or Place a link to this page using the following HTML code: