Ten ways to improve your home's curb appeal
(ARA) - If you think having great curb appeal is only important if you're trying to sell your home, think again. Your house is one of your biggest investments and making a great first impression will leave everyone - not just potential buyers - wanting to see what's inside. With 10 simple improvements, you can easily transform your home into the best looking house on the block.
In a day
There are a number of quick fixes you can complete in just one day that will make a big impact on your exterior.
* Replace old hardware. It's the little things that make a big difference. Update your dated or dingy house numbers, entry door lockset and overhead light fixture. Each of these elements can add style and interest to your home's exterior, especially if you incorporate a great finish option like oil-rubbed bronze or brushed nickel.
* Make over your mailbox. Your mailbox should complement the style and color of your house. Restore your existing mailbox with a fresh coat of paint or stain that matches the trim, color and woodwork of your house.
* Tame planter beds and landscaping. If your beds are overrun with weeds and unsightly growth, you'll need to get them under control to give your home a well-manicured look. Prune, pull weeds and plant flowers to add color. Add a fresh layer of mulch and your yard will look as good as new.
* Illuminate your walkway. Adding low-voltage solar lighting to your front walkway can have a big impact on your home's curb appeal. It also provides added safety and security. If you don't have a walkway, string accent lighting in the trees for a whimsical-looking effect.
* Freshen up the front door. The front entry is the focal point of your home's curb appeal. To keep it looking free of abuse from the elements and use, clean off any dirty spots and remove any loose paint. If your door is beyond repair, install a new version that reflects the design of your house. Once you're all set, be sure to add a piece of decorative flair, like a wreath or door knocker that showcases your personality to the outside world.
In a weekend
In just a couple of days, you can boost the beauty of your home with easy upgrades.
* Renew paint and trim. Give your home an exterior facelift by adding a new coat of paint or stain. You'll automatically update the look of your home by fixing any obvious defects, like loose paint, fading colors or cracks in your trim and fence. Be sure to use high-quality painting tools to get a professional-looking finish, like the Pro-Extra brush from Purdy. The extra length and thickness of the filaments on these paintbrushes provide superior paint-holding capacity and are specially designed for all exterior paints and stains.
* Replace gutters and downspouts. If your gutters are loose and worn out, not only do they look neglected, but they're also a danger to guests. To prevent any injuries, as well as improve the overall appearance, install a new, snap-fit gutter system that go together with a few tools for an easy and important upgrade.
* Add shutters or accent trim. Everything on the exterior of your home should be a reflection of what's inside. To mirror the pulled-together appearance of your indoor rooms, install shutters and trim to provide an extra layer of interest on the exterior. Not only do shutters help control light and ventilation, but new materials such as PVC resins or polyurethane make them durable and low maintenance.
In a month
Using a little elbow grease and taking extra time on some projects can reap huge rewards for your home in the long run.
* Upgrade railings. Porch and stoop railings deteriorate over time and can become loose. If yours are past their prime, look for quality wood or metal replacements. Make sure the color, scale, design and details coordinate with the rest of your home's main features.
* Dress up the drive. If your driveway is cracked, stained or has weeds sprouting up from it, now may be time to show it some TLC. Upgrade it without completely starting over. Repair any cracks or stains and be sure to kill the weeds and then add some extra character by staining the concrete or affixing flagstone. For additional flair, add stone, bricks or pavers to the sides for a completely custom look.
With these easy curb appeal cures, your home will be the envy of all your neighbors. For more information about the Pro-Extra brush series or other Purdy painting products, visit purdycorp.com.
Courtesy of ARAcontent
Like it? Share it with others!
Or Place a link to this page using the following HTML code: